Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A new year, A new ME!

So after this internal debate about whether to have a resolution or a list or a mantra or a not list, I've finally decided. I'm sure you have been waiting on bated breath for this earth shattering revelation! ;)  I have decided for option E: All of the above. So my New Year's resolution is finish what I started. It is pretty simple right? I am not looking to lose 50 pounds or quit eating sweets or something so ridiculously difficult like that. I mean really? The problems with New Year's resolutions is that they are so unrealistic you set yourself up for automatic failure. So I resolve to finish what I started. That means any project, endeavor, bright idea that I have I am going to see it through to the end, even if it kills me.

Next is my mantra. I wanted a single word, but couldn't really decide on the word I wanted. So I have come up with something that is very much tied into my resolution: "I am committed to persevering." Now I am not sure that it falls into the textbook definition of a mantra, but it is working for me. It makes me feel good and it sums up what 2012 is going to be about for me. So I think its perfect!

Next is my list. The list consists of DOs and DON'Ts. They are essentially things that I want to make sure I accomplish this year and things that I resolve to stop doing. So let's start with the positive, the to do list which is more of a smaller scaled version of bucket list. It is smaller so that I can add to it throughout the year if there is something I really want to do, but its short enough that I don't overwhelm myself and get nothing done.

TO DO in 2012:

1. Train and COMPLETE a triathlon AND half-marathon before the end of the year.

2. Learn a third language. (I'm living in Europe! Why shouldn't I pick up a 3 language?)

3. Complete a crocheted scarf and afghan before the end of the year. (The hard part is done since I taught myself how to crochet last month. The harder part is going to be perfecting it all!)

4. Travel more- again we are living in Europe.... need I explain more.

5. Spend more time with my kids and husband.


Now here is the list of things I am NOT going to do, or maybe a better way of saying that is to STOP doing. I have no doubt that these things can only improve my life.

NOT TO DO in 2012:
1. I will NOT associate with people that cause drama in my life.

2. I will NOT beat myself up about my weight, appearance or other physical characteristic.

3. I will NOT allow my children to get away with not doing chores anymore. My not working does not equal a new maid in town.

4. I will NOT feel guilty for saying NO.

5. I will NOT feel guilty for saying YES.


Hopefully as I get through my To Do List and stick to my Not To Do List I will be a better me in 2012. Because ultimately that is the whole point of a New Year's resolution, to be the best you in the new year and that is exactly what I intend to do.

Cheers to everyone who is starting the new year with the goal of being the best YOU you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment