Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Why I hate New Year's Resolutions...but I'm making some anyways


Tis the season for New Year's Resolutions. I hate them.

I make them, but I hate them. 

See I never follow through on them. I haven't accomplished one yet. Well maybe one, but I can't think of it off the top of my head. I'm sure there is one resolution I completed.... fuck, what was it. Irrelevant. I digress... resolutions.

Then you have all these people who start posting quotes and pithy comments about success and failure going hand in hand. And shit about failing to try, and end of the road, and love lost and I just threw up in my mouth.

Nausea. Indigestion. Upset stomach. BARF!

New Year's resolutions drive me crazy. They really drive me bat shit crazy. 

Mostly because I suck at them. The worst part is that every year I make them. It's like I set myself up to failure. I make resolutions that I made in previous years, and I didn't finish/complete them then. What in fuck's sake makes me think I will complete them NOW??

So did I make any for this year? Of course. I am a glutton for punishment. BUT I am trying something different. I am making broad resolutions that don't have specific deadlines or measurements. 

Ambiguity is the name of the game this year. Yup! 

I have a few resolutions this year, but mostly I have a WORD that is going to define my actions. See that way I am not bound to the success or failure of a particular goal. I can say that I held to my word of the year. May not make a whole lot of sense, but it will make me feel better when at the end of 2013 I haven't failed miserably at goals I never had a chance of being successful at in the first fracking place.

The word for the year is Perseverance. How's that for a word?

Here are my vague New Year's statements. (Yea, resolutions seems so final with no room for error. Statements are changeable.)

1. Spend more time with my family. This should be easy since I rather like my hubby and kids. ;)

2. Travel more. Not hard since I love to travel and I am a self-proclaimed travel-whore. Done.

3. Take more pictures. As these are the last few months before The Princess leaves for college, I am going to be snapping the heck out of pictures. 

4. Get fit, again. It's the again part that kills me. See every start of a new year I start the weight loss process, and I do GREAT... until summer rolls around. Then I get caught up in summer, and I gain it back. Then fall and winter are nothing but a string of excuses, until the New Year. Then I am back at square one. Uggh. It's frustrating, but I will apply my word to this statement: persevere!

5. Worry less about the shit that doesn't matter. I will worry less about the things that I can't change, and the things that don't matter. There is no use in stressing over it. So let it go. 

I am stopping here. I think that is a reasonable amount of change. Besides, there is a lot that goes into each one of those, and I won't add statements just to have them. Again, I don't want to set myself up for failure. 

Wait!

I got another one.

6. Don't set unrealistic goals. I will set goals that I can accomplish, even if it means I am taking baby steps towards a larger reality. 

There. That outta do it... for this year. 

What are your resolutions/statements/word for 2013?


Add-on:

Check out what I thought I was gonna accomplish last year. Here is my grade sheet:

To do list:
#1: F. Didn't complete the tri or half-marathon.
#2: D: I know a little more German and some Italian, but not enough to constitute "knowing" a 3rd language.
#3: I completed 3 scarves: A+  on that. No afghan: F.
#4: A++ Traveled my ass off this year.
#5: A++ Spent tons of time with kids and hubby!

Don't list:
#1: A+ Done. It was a truly drama free year. Well almost, but it was Hubby's ex-wife...totally not my fault.
#2: B-. I didn't beat myself up, but I did the yo-yo diet thing and I failed at #1 on the to-do.
#3 C-: They totally had chore cards, and I wasn't exactly the best at holding them to it.
#4 & #5: A. I totally had a good year in this department.


Love it when you comment! 

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!
Please click this banner to VOTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment